Mar 4, 2016

Week 4 Update

I'm going to make this update pretty short because I already posted something this week, my project hasn't changed much, and I'm exhausted. Mostly, I've just been going through the dissertation I mentioned before, working on analyzing the CDI data, and studying more phonetics. I got really tired of going through all of the words and individually assigning them a PMLU score, so I've been working on writing a program that will do it for me. So far, I've been completely and utterly unsuccessful with that.

One interesting thing that I figured out this week happened when I found an old photo album filled with pictures of Quince as a baby (birth to about six months). I decided to try and get Quince to talk about stuff in these pictures, because he's really tired of the ones we are using now and actually so am I so I wanted to change things up. He got really excited and was able to focus on the new pictures for a lot longer, probably about ten minutes straight. When I asked him who the infant in the pictures was, he said 'baby' (actually, he pronounces this more buh-buh, or sometimes buh-bee if it's especially good), and he also could identify 'Daddy', 'Casey', 'Mommy', and 'Kiele'. Elke and Mary have changed so much in the past five years that he couldn't recognize them. Clearly, he is getting bored with being quizzed on the same things over and over, and actually seems to be doing better when I switch things around and introduce new stuff.

On a completely separate note, Rachel gave me permission to add this picture to my post, since I haven't had any for the past couple. It's not really related but I guess it adds color or something (see Rachel's blog at rachel-lincoln.blogspot.com for more color-related things).

9 comments:

  1. Who is that in the picture? Do you find it easy or difficult to be conducting research on a family member?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Rachel Lincoln. My research isn't very difficult in terms of family stuff because I'm just using data from a survey that my mom filled out, so it stays relatively objective.

      Delete
  2. Who is that in the picture? Do you find it easy or difficult to be conducting research on a family member?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think you'll be able to write a program? Will you have to do things by hand in the meantime? Side note, thanks for choosing such a flattering picture of me, I think it really embodies what I'm about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that program that you are trying and failing to create will be quite worthwhile, and will fill you with a great sense of accomplishment not only because you made something, but because the something will do something for you~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can feel your pain! I remember the days of working in a research lab, and doing nothing but mindless data entry for hours at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do the milestones tie in with the therapy? Is the therapy designed to help the patient reach the milestones? Or is reaching the milestones a marker that the therapy has been effective? If the milestones are biological, how does therapy help them? Has therapy been designed to help patients reach these milestones? Does therapy change when these milestones have been reached? My real question has to do with how the goals of therapy interact with milestone theory, if at all.

    This is an interesting project so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an interesting project.

    Regarding the idea of milestones and therapy, how does the therapy help the patient to reach the milestones? If the same therapy is being used with patients who present very differently, does the therapy help the patients in different ways? Has this been studied, that is, has anyone studied the progress of therapy that is targeted at the symptoms being presented, versus therapy that is targeted at helping patients reach milestones?

    ReplyDelete