Feb 26, 2016

Week 3 Update

Tuesday was another lab day with Dr. Ingram. I was excited because I got to start working on a project using data from a survey my mom filled out about Quince's language. This survey is called the Macarthur-Bates communicative Development Inventory (CDI). It lists ten pages of phrases and words, with an option to indicate that the child understands, says, or signs each one. The part of the survey I am interested in is the vocabulary checklist. In this section, there are 396 different words in 19 different categories (sound effects and animal sounds, animal names, vehicles, toys, food and drink, clothing, body parts, furniture and rooms, small household items, outside things and places to go, people, games and routines, action words, words about time, descriptive words, pronouns, question words, prepositions and locations, and quantifiers). Specifically, I am going to be looking at the difference between comprehending and producing certain words, and trying to establish whether the complexity of a word determines if it is both understood and spoken or just understood. 

The first step in doing this was to type out each of the words into an excel spreadsheet, which was extremely tedious but a good exercise for improving typing speed (at least that's what I told myself). I then made columns for "Comprehends" and "Produces" and filled them out, with a 1 in each column if the survey indicated that Quince could comprehends/produce each word, and a 0 if he could not. I did not include the signing option as he doesn't sign anything beyond "all done" and "more". I'm planning on further categorizing each word by whether it is monosyllabic or polysyllabic and whether or not it contains a cluster (two or more consecutive vowels). Hopefully, these categories will allow me to determine the complexity of each word, so that when I analyze this spreadsheet, I will be able to see if there is a correlation between complexity and lack of production. 

On Wednesday, I once again took Quince swimming for the last hour of ABA. Admittedly, I'm not really sure why we bring his therapist along instead of simply ending his session early, since I am the only one who gets in the water with him. We did some more speech work, similar to last week, but at the pool near his therapy location, Quince is limited to a small, shallow rectangle of the pool, which is very distracting since he always tries to escape into the lap lanes. Afterwards, we went to speech, where he was unfortunately pretty unfocused. Still, it was interesting to see how his therapists manage to keep his attention on how they are forming words.

I spent most of Thursday working on the spreadsheet of Quince's CDI and practicing phonetics at ASU. Also, Dr. Ingram sent me an article that he cowrote with his graduate student. It analyzes the daily speech diary of a child with language delay (kept by the mother). This is pretty relevant because I've been considering doing this for Quince to keep track of exactly what words he says, but it seems like a lot of work and I'm not with him all the time.

Sorry, I'm pretty sure that's the third time I've forgotten to get a video of Quince at speech. I'll try to remember for next week, but to be honest, at this point it's probably a lost cause.

11 comments:

  1. Seems like another busy week! Good to see you making progress with the work using excel, I know from my own project that the process can be quite tedious :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like another busy week! Good to see you making progress with the work using excel, I know from my own project that the process can be quite tedious :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are there any words that Quince can pronounce but is unwilling to say or says rarely? Would that throw off your data on his ability to produce certain words? A speech diary sounds like a big commitment, but maybe you could keep a less detailed one to get a general idea of what he says if not a completely comprehensive one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, most words Quince can pronounce are ones he is unwilling to say. Since speech is so difficult for him, he won't really say very many words without significant prompting, so if someone doesn't know him or doesn't know how to prompt him, they will think he has a very limited vocabulary. Because I am the one filling out the survey (along with my mom), the data is probably being thrown off way less than if a random person was trying to do it.

      Delete
  4. Would you be able to post a link to the article that Dr. Ingram wrote? I would be interested to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if I have not said it yet before, Quince is so incredibly lucky to have a sister like you.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! My most recent post contains a link to the article.

      Delete
  5. Your week seemed awesome as usual! I was wondering the same thing as Ms. Conner. I'd really be interested in seeing some of his research too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My most recent post contains a link to the article I mentioned, if you are still interested.

      Delete
  6. Hey Casey! It's really cool what you're doing. I remember when I was younger my brother couldn't speak, but with years of therapy he can now have conversations. I'm excited to see how your SRP turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Casey! It's really cool what you're doing. I remember when I was younger my brother couldn't speak, but with years of therapy he can now have conversations. I'm excited to see how your SRP turns out!

    ReplyDelete